Over the last couple of days, I’ve been thinking a lot about the Les Mis fandom, and about the recent incident with the anon meme that resulted in a well-respected person quitting the fandom for good. A post has been going around encouraging people to be good to each other, to reach out to their friends and tell them how much they care — a noble and admirable proposition to be sure.
But while I firmly support that proposition, I don’t think that goes far enough. Our problems as a fandom don’t flare up when we’re talking to our friends, but when we deal with acquaintances, strangers, or people we may not even like very much.
To that end, I’d propose the following:
- Accept that not everyone is going to agree on everything. Every single one of us comes to this fandom with our own beliefs and interests and tastes, and we are all going to develop our own interpretations of the text and the characters. We’re not going to all agree on anything, or like the same things. We need to just accept that — revel in it, even — and move on.
- Don’t call people out publicly. We all screw up from time to time, but instead of reblogging someone’s post and telling them in no uncertain terms how they’re wrong, send them a message privately. Give them the opportunity to retract their statement or apologize if appropriate, rather than publicly shaming them and allowing for other people to pile on.
- Make liberal use of the tools tumblr gives us to avoid the things we don’t like. Honestly, the xkit guy should be nominated for a Nobel Peace Prize. This site allows us to basically ignore anyone and anything that gets on our nerves — so we can block users we don’t want to hear from, stay out of tags that make us angry, or add things to our blacklist.
- If we see something, say something. The sad fact is that we have tolerated bullying in the fandom for far too long. Too many of us remained silent when fans were being bullied for shipping the “wrong” ship or liking the “wrong” actor or drawing the characters in the “wrong” way. And too many of us scoffed at the power of the anon meme to intimidate people, even as it was driving fans away for months before this most recent incident happened. If we see bullying happening, we need to speak up, regardless of who the victim is.
- Open our hearts and minds to new things — and to new people. Yes, we should tell our friends we love them — but we should also spread the love to people beyond our immediate circle as well. Read different writers. Support new artists. Submit things to Les Mis Positivity. Send messages to people we don’t talk to, but whose contributions we appreciate.
We’re all here because we were touched in some way by a book and/or a musical and/or a movie that is all about the power of love and redemption. Let’s do better at trying to live up to the source material.
Enjolras stealing Bahorel’s beauty mask isn’t how you make a proper zombie makeup
These are such great costumes! Who made the Napoleon outfit? XD
I mean Marius probably just had it on hand, given that the whole thing was Courfeyrac’s idea
No, but would Marius actually let them ruin it like this?? I don’t think so… I bet Bahorel sew the replica of the Marius’ one, Jehan added all the zombie details and Enjolras was sulking furiously in the background xD
Alright real talk, we all seem to agree that mod AU!Enjolras wears ridiculously skinny practically-painted-on jeans which make his booty look A+ and which Grantaire tries not to appreciate too much because staring isn’t nice and I’m down with that
I’m also down with Grantaire realizing pretty soon, once they start dating, that Enjolras is no ideal of perfection and is in fact 9/10 a grumpy over-caffeinated baby who can’t function properly in the mornings
Which brings us to my point, okay, because getting those painted-on jeans off might have been easy, in the heat of the moment, but do we want to talk about Grantaire witnessing for the first time the long ritual of putting those jeans back on?
And I’m talking about the whole nine yards: grunting, pulling, huffing, jumping-up-and-down and wiggling. Not even Enjolras can manage to make that routine look attractive, and it’s great.
World Ain't Ready - Chapter 1 - idiopathicsmile - Les Misérables - All Media Types [Archive of Our Own]
Enjolras presses his lips together. He already looks pained, and Grantaire hasn’t even opened his mouth yet. That’s got to be a record, even for them.
"I need a favor," he says at last.
"With what?" says Grantaire. "Ooh, are you forming a cult? Can I join? I’d be awesome at cults, I just know it." He ticks off his qualifications on his fingers. "I love chanting, I look great in robes—"
(High school AU. Grantaire the disaffected stoner is pulled into a cause bigger than himself. Or: in which there are pretend boyfriends for great justice.)
wartbetweenfourwalls said: Welcome to Night Vale
your fave is problematic: wtnv
- as a mountain enthusiast i reject the very premise of the show
- too much representation i need a non-diverse cast to satisfy my whitebread needs
- the scientist doesn’t even do science
- has little to no concept of what the word ‘weather’ means
If you don’t know your personality type, take the test here.
Rules: Find out what characters share the same personality type as you here and list the characters that you find relevant below. Then tag five friends and let them know you tagged them!
I was tagged by landmarkinglunacy - and this seemed like a fun thing to do, and it really was :D
You are one of the Sentinels - a reliable and dedicated individual who respects traditions and prizes responsibility. You are known for your caring nature, attention to detail and quiet dedication.
The ISFJ personality type is a unique group, in that many of their qualities often defy the definition of their individual personality traits. Though they possess the Feeling (F) trait, ISFJs have excellent analytical abilities; though they are Introverted (I), they have well-developed people skills and robust social relationships; and even though they are a Judging (J) type, as are all Sentinels (SJ), ISFJs are often receptive to change and new ideas. As with so many things, ISFJs are more than the sum of their parts, and it is the way they use these strengths that defines who they are.
- Suki from Avatar: The Last Airbender
- Steve Rogers from Captain America
- Mrs. Hughes from Downton Abbey
- Azumane Asahi from Haikyuu
- Neville Longbottom from Harry Potter
- Sally from The Nightmare Before Christmas
- Ned the Piemaker from Pushing Daisies
- Elinor Dashwood from Sense and Sensibility
- Nyota Uhura from Star Trek: The Original Series
- Chewbacca and C-3PO from Star Wars
I love this, I have got so many of my fav characters <33 I don’t know a single thing about Asahi from volleyball anime, I saw only 2 random episodes, but I told May right away that I have a feeling I’d like this guy and here he is! xD I also think there’s no bigger compliment than being like Mrs. Hughes, she’s the most important in Downton ok (and I have a key ring with Chewie. Coincidence? I think not!)